The Reef Grief Song Competition is accepting music that relates to any of the phases of grief:
Your music can be about any topic related to reef threats and global heating. For example:
- decline of our reefs
- coral ecocide
- death of sea life
- loss of fossil fuel jobs
- non-violent direct action
Your music will be judged by a panel of artists and activists, to be announced. Winning entries will be music that can:
- move people emotionally
- help exit the Denial and Bargaining phases of grief
- hold space for Anger and Depression in a way that is empowering
- provide room for healing
- motivate action for change
Sonic forms that might not be considered a “song” also allowed:
- spoken word
You must own all rights to the music you submit.
By submitting you allow climate justice and environmental activism projects to reproduce your music in promos and play or perform it at live events without making any profits.
Help with production
If you have a great song but need help with recording and production, assistance may be available - contact firstname.lastname@example.org requesting assistance.
How to enter
- Either Upload your track to this file drop or use your own cloud storage.
- Send an email to email@example.com with:
- the name of the song
- if you uploaded to our drop, the filename that was uploaded
- or, if you are using your own cloud storage, a link to the file
- your name
- artist/band name
- artist bio
- photo to go with the song
- photo to go with the artist
- contact phone number
- Include a rights statement like “I retain all rights to this music but allow not for profit climate justice and environmental activism projects to reproduce it in their promos and play or perform it at live events.”
- We will send back a confirmation that the entry has been received - if we don’t send one back within 3 days, please try sending another email and contacting the XR Meanjin Facebook page.
Entries must be uploaded before the 11th March 2022.
Artists can submit more than one entry and win more than one prize!
The funds for this prize come from an individual donor who values our reef, emotional connections and wishes to support our arists who have been struggling during the pandemic. Extinction Rebellion QLD funds are purely to support non-violent direct action and have not been used for this campaign.
If you would like to help with funding, contact firstname.lastname@example.org